Thursday 21 July 2011

Winsor Castle - 17 July 2011

Today was a family outing as my uncle has taken the day off to take us on a day trip to Winsor Castle. The castle is still actively used by the Queen as a weekend home so I was really looking forward to the opportunity to meeting with her majesty.

Today was still drizzling down making sightseeing not the best. But my families are such troupers! Here we are sitting down at breakfast which my cousin prepared.




I must say the British love their big breakfasts!



We had a drive to Winsor which took 1.5 hours.
My aunt explained to us as we walked in the rain towards the castle that the rain in the last few years is not normal for England. She still remembers a time when she never needed an umbrella as the rain was only a light constant drizzle. Global warming is becoming more and more evident now for all of us all over the world. Everybody is affected.

Turns out the castle is in fact very close to Heathrow airport. We could constantly hear the planes flying over our heads while we were there.

We had to line up at the gate for about 20min which wasn't too bad, then we were guided through a custom like baggage check. No knives allowed!

Us inside the castle grounds.




This one I think captured a bit of Diagon Alley don't you think?

We got to see the state apartments and Queen Mary's Dollhouse but was not allowed to take photographs. I have nothing I can show you, however, if you see video footage of events held in Winsor, I believe the video footage are not far off. The place is huge, we were only allowed viewing of a small section of the place but it took the us more than two hours, I can't imagine what it will be like to live in such an enormous place, must be hard to find people who might not want to be found.

Here is an aerial photo of the entire grounds.


We had dinner at Cafe Rouge in Winsor before heading home. There was a hiccup with some online 2 for 1 vouchers we wanted to use, but eventually we were all well fed with some french cuisine.





























Once we got home we settled down and had some fun family time at home just chatting all together.

My aunt made us purple rice sweet soup for dessert! I still think back to before the trip when I said I'll probably lose a lot of weight on this trip because of all the exercise. I don't think it will be likely if I continue to eat like this! Another day, another day...

Location:Winsor, UK

No comments:

Post a Comment