Wednesday 20 July 2011

Journey into London 18 July 2011

Today was our final afternoon with my family before heading out to London. This morning we found out we made a mistake with our tickets to London not paying attention to am and pm. We had to buy new tickets again. A lesson learn for both of us. Always double check and don't do these bookings when tired!

My family took us to Ikea for breakfast. Yes, the furniture store! Do you know why? Take a look at this photo





99 pence for a breakfast, with free bottomless cups of coffee and tea! Whao!!
Incredible aye? Unfortunately I don't think we will find many ikea on our way through Europe, otherwise it will save our eating budget hugely!

We got to take a walk in the larges shopping complex in Bristol, the Carbot Circus. It's a lovely mall, semi open aired which I think will be lovely on a warmer day.
Another bargain store I cannot not mention is the Primark. Everything there is incredibly cheap, so cheap you can almost wear and throw out without one grimace.





A jacket is marked down from 7 pounds to 3 pounds! Imagine if there was a place like this at home. I can think of many reasons to shop there for some bargain clothing. The quality is not too bad either.

My cousin pointed out to me that it is possible clothing this cheap could come from sweat shops in India or other third world countries where workers are cheap labour and are badly treated. I would have never thought of this when I first walked into the shop. I think I should learn to be a more conscious shopper. There are a lot of complications around the world that as responsible global citizens we should be aware of.

We nearly missed our coach again after lunch. We were the last to get on. Not long after the bus driver closed the door, another lady who was late arrived. He didn't let her get on, poor woman will have to get another ticket.

Oh, here is another gorilla, this time it's Elvis!





Arriving in London we quickly took the tube to our accommodations. We did get a little lost during our first time in Victoria station but has now worked out the different over ground rail and underground tube.
Our host in London is a friend of my cousin from his church when he stayed in London. It's wonderful how God often provides in different ways for all of us. We are very grateful to our host Jess.

Since it is summer in London, the sun sets around 10pm so we did have a bit of light left. We decided to go take some night photo of the Tower of London which served as a castle, a citadel, a prison and many other functions during it's time.





Here is the famous Tower Bridge, which is commonly known in the children's song London Bridge. There actually is a more recent bridge built right next to this which is actually called London Bridge, but if you ever come here, we recommend the tube exit of the Tower Hall as the view is nicer of the bridges.





There are some better pictures from the bridge itself, however we don't have access to wifi, these are taken with my iPhone.

We decided to walk across to bridge to find us some British supper, where else is better than a pub?

Here is our lovely and pretty well priced dinner from a pub near the Tower Bridge






We spent another hour on the bridge taking photos, nearly freezing by this time as the rain was coming down and wind from the river Thames was very chilly. Perhaps later I can post more photos from the evening here. I'm so grateful of my family who gave me some jackets to keep warm. The colder weather of the summer here is very unexpected.

Updated photos from the bridge below. Enjoy!





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment