Monday 11 July 2011

Lightening show in the clouds







As I write this I am flying over european sky. I see lots and lots of green pastures below the clouds.

As predicted by our families usual travel pattern, thunder storm was forecast for the day. Surprise surprised when I didn't see one drop of rain all day. Turns out the show was just about to start.

As we reached our flight altitude we flew into a storm cloud. Have you watched the last Harry Potter where everyone transfigured into Harry to take him from the house? There was a magical battle that followed in the night sky, well,that was our view out of the plane!

It's spectacular to watch lightening this close, we could see the lightening setting off all around us, rods shooting between all the clouds! Spectacularly beautiful but also very frightening. I wonder whether the plane has safety mechanism to prevent being hit? Our video monitor experienced failure at the start of the flight. I wonder if we actually was hit?

We were not permitted to use any of our electrical devices so I couldn't capture the scene for you. I wish you could have been here to see it.

We are about less than two hours before we land in Zurich. NZ is 10 hours ahead, our flight is scheduled to arrive at 6.15am, the pilot said last night that zurich airport is closed in the evening and we cannot land until 6.05 earliest. I never realized international airports close during the night... so by the time I arrive in the early morning, it will soon be dinner time back home.

Update post: we have arrived! Now at the backpacker and have dropped off the packs, the weather is a lovely 23 degrees.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Sihlstrasse,Zurich,Switzerland

No comments:

Post a Comment