Wednesday 13 July 2011

Kiwi in Switzerland

I've found Zurich a very peaceful and trusting place. A novelty we have found is a button on
The trains and bus doors. It allows a passenger to push the button from the outside to open the door to let themselves in. Imagine this for the mtr in HK. I don't think any of the trains will be able to leave the station until the whole thing is totally packed!
Also, so far except for the Zurich river boat, no one has checked if we have purchased a ticket, I see a lot of people just buy a ticket and hop on. The people here are very honest. Perhaps it is because the region is quite well off, we have not seen beggars nor street stall merchants anywhere in this central part of the city.

Today's day started much later as we decided to sleep in. We left the hostel at 10am to buy breakfast at the Coop supermarket. They sell this terrific hazelnut chocolate croissant I think I have totally fallen in love with. It's centre is full of nuttella like paste with soft pastry on the outside! Yum!

We decided to go on the river boat ride early in he morning as the sun can be strong in the afternoon. We only managed to get on at 11.30am and the glass roof made the whole boat feel like a giant sauna. I had to take out my trusty fan to cool off.



The boat ride was worth the trip as we got to see this giant spider sculpture,


The fountain on the lake,


And lots of sun bathers and swimmers near the edge of the river.

We passed by two of these sunbathing facilities on our ride down the river. The whole scene appears to me so idyllic and relaxing. I keep wondering are these people local or tourist.

After the ride we visited the national museum. The whole exhibition is structured to guide you through Swiss history. From the exhibition, I can understand why the country is no longer Catholic, and that this wealth I see before me is not easily gained. Perhaps not as much blood shed compared to some other countries but still lots of hard work by pioneers.

The museum prohibited photography, however at a special exhibition on the World Wildlife Fund, there was a photo opportunity to take with a giant stuff toy panda!


We later brought a picnic lunch to eat like a local by the river.


A swan came by to ask for food.


Got a bit camera shy though when I try to take photographs. There is also some fishes in the river. I don't think fishing is allowed as for the last two days we have not seen anyone fishing along the banks.

We went up to the university again to visit the Zoological and paleontology museum. Please allow the biology geek in me to say: It was AWESOME! Free entry into this place that has terrific models and artifacts on display. There is also a little library and some stations for microscope viewing.

This here is Megaterium americanum! To me it looks like a giant rat/beaver animal. The person there spoke limited English but did tell us the creature was(?) native to Europe and South America. Does anyone else know anything more about this creature? Would love to find out more.


And some other cool animals





And here is the highlight, a special box for NZ fauna, Kiwi in Switzerland!


I think we have both been good little boy and girl because like last night, we promptly decided to go back to the backpacker's for shower at 5pm and a bit of a rest. We have decides to try a takeaway pasta and pizza place down the road from our accommodation.

The night is very different from the day in our area of Zurich. For one thing there is a cheese fondue restaurant just around the corner which opens in the evening. I like my cheeses, but the Swiss cheese is a little too "aromatic" for my taste!

Here are some night time pictures taken with my camera. Not as nice as Vincent's camera but I'm still happy with them.







Here is a photo taken of Vincent lying in the middle of a busy footpath!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment