Wednesday 24 August 2011

Overnight Vigil in Cuatro Vientos 20 Aug 2011

There was no Catechese today as everyone will be getting ready to enter into Cuatro Vientos. We were advised the day before not to go to the venue so early as the airfield will only be opened in the afternoon.

We decided to first visit the RNFE station to purchase our tickets to Valencia.
When we arrived we realized that there are many people with the same thought in mind. The tickets office was packed with locals as well as pilgrims. When we got our tickets for the queue we were about 50 people behind.
Luckily the office was air-conditioned, but the room was still very stuffy. Our wait took us more than an hour!

Martin and Tiffany decided to head out to see if they can purchase some souvenirs before they leave whilst we waited. One reason why it took so long was because it was lunchtime and only two counters were open, one for same day bookings and one for advance booking. The advance booking cue was very very long!
We bumped into other pilgrims from NZ while we were waiting, they were going Toledo and skipping the over night vigil and final Mass.

Finally securing our tickets we headed home for some lunch and a shower before the long journey to the venue.
Martin and Tiffany kindly brought food home to cook lunch.




By the time we finally left home it was 3pm. I packed some water, biscuits, sun screen, a thin bamboo mat, my neck rest, tooth brush and toothpaste only. All fitting into the JMJ backpack. Thinking back to the last WYD when we all brought our huge backpacks I smile, perhaps I have actually learnt on this trip that really we do not need much afterall.

The metro was completely packed! I didn't see one local person attempt to get onto the metro, perhaps that is the wisest.

Most pilgrims have been living with 500+ people in a stadium sharing 6 showers. It is very hot in Madrid, imagine the smell of so many people packed like sardines in a long metro train! The smell was the first thing we noticed, I became very grateful to Martin for arranging such a lovely living condition for us.

The airfield was around 20 mins from the station. The day was already hitting mid 30s celsius. I already had my trusty umbrella out to block a little bit of the sun's rays.
Some really kind locals who live on the apartment blocks lining the street we passed actually poured water down from top story window for the pilgrims or hosed the pilgrims. There were many shouts of joy and gratitude to them!





Once we arrived it was a sight to behold! Through the security checks we see a dry dusty slope, all brown without a hit of oasis. As people past they stirred up the earth so much a dust cloud forms behind them. I said to the others, 'I think we have just reached the Sahara desert!'.

I was already quite daunted at the sight, but I was not prepared for the view that followed. Sydney could not compare to this.

Going up the dry dusty hill I was faced with a field as far as the eye could see filled with people!


We were assigned to the area D7, the area was already packed with people. The sun was baking down, it was dry and hot. It took us nearly 20 mins to find an open spot, to fit the five of us it was less than two metre square.

The sun was just too hot by this time. The earth was radiating heat, the ground was semi covered by dry straw. It was lucky Martin managed to buy the straw/bamboo mats for us to lay down an area to sit.

We gathered all our umbrellas together to form a small oasis of shade.





There was constant announcement asking people to put on sunscreen, wear a hat and keep drinking water. There are water taps on the sides of the field as well as bottled water being given out. The organizers ask us to drink as much as possible.

There were also fire engines mobilized to drive around the venue constantly spraying people with water in order to keep people from over heating.

The heat was very dangerous, and we had to hide under umbrella for at least two more hours. The temperature reading was 39oC at around 5pm.

Martin had to leave to find shade as he was over heating, i eventually had to venture out as well as I needed to use the toilet. Although the sun was strong, there were still many people walking around and partying.

On the way I saw people collapsed onto the ground with paramedics looking at them, there were also people being assisted to the ambulance. I pray they recovered and is well now.

There was a massive queue outside toilet, there was no shade and very hot. A French nun stood behind me, I'm sure her habit must be very hot. I offered her a bit of shade under my umbrella. We couldn't communicate in speech but body language was enough. At that moment an empty bottle rolled towards us. We both looked at it and didn't know what to do. I decided to pick it up and put it into the bin once we got the the toilets.
God must have been happy with something I did because he sent me an angel. Yes, an angel in the form of a girl coming over to tell us there were more toilets behind this block that don't have any queues and with water taps!

The Sister and I was so happy we quickly walked to the second block. Here is where the empty bottle came in. I was at the water tap and saw how much the water would be required back where we camped. It was at least 10mins walk away. I had nothing but this empty used bottled in my hand. I decided exception matter requires exceptional action. I decided to rinse the bottle and take water back with me.

It was one of the best decision I made. Why? Because it took me nearly 25mins due to police closure of a walkway to get back to the camp. I was baking again under the sun. I was able to use the bottle to cool myself. I don't think I will forget from that moment how precious water can be!

It was also quite a mission to find our camp after entering our section. I had to find landmarks and draw an approximate pin point before I got close enough for Vincent to signal me in.

Dominique managed to get our picnic packs. It contained breads, ham, salami, juices, biscuits, cakes, chocolate milk, yogurt, biscuits, muslie bar, salads, and most important two bottles of water.
Quite a feast for lunch, dinner and breakfast!

Us and other pilgrims before the Pope arrived.



It is part of JMJ to meet other catholic youth and exchange ideas, build friendship and fellowship under Christ. I feel honored to have been allowed such opportunity of like minded young people from all over the world.

It slowly got more windy and clouds moved in by 7pm. It was a nice change as the temperature became more bearable. But good things can take a turn for the worst, it stormed!

Yes, whilst Pope Benedict was just about to start the Eucharistic Adoration it stormed!

The wind suddenly picked up, there were a few drops of rain, then it slashed out! Many people were unprepared and got drenched! People screamed, one of the screens went offline. The storm was so strong we couldn't even hear the speakers over the wind. That night more than one chapel marquee got blown down as people rushed inside for shelter.
Vincent and Tiffany went to the bathroom early and was not back yet, the boys and I had put on our rain jackets and hid under our umbrellas whilst trying to keep our packs dry.
I saw many people's makeshift sun shade from this afternoon collapse too.


Maybe because of everyone's prayer, the storm ended just as suddenly as it started. The Holy Spirit is said to come in many forms right?!

The rest of the vigil went smoothly except for a light drizzle afterwards. Our mats were partially soaked. We had to do with the best we can and set up camp for the night.

Here are the fireworks just as adoration was concluded.



I found the night quite peaceful compared to Sydney, maybe perhaps it is because we were not as close to the walkways so there was less thoroughfare. I managed some light sleep during that night.
There wasn't really enough room for all of us, a pilgrim from Lisbon was next to me and he allowed me to move over to half way of his mat. This meant we both slept on half a mat but it was already much more comfortable than on the hard moist dirt.

It did get quite chilly around 4-5am. Lucky for the light wind jacket and the emergency blanket which Tiffany, Martin and I shared to keep warm.

Martin joked that it was sad that at nearly 30 years old he has to sleep on the street, I said to him, it's a good deal considering there are over one million others on the street with you!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment