Saturday 20 August 2011

Madrid - Our Final pilgrim has arrived! 14-15 Aug 2011

This blog is of two days, the 14-15 August.

On the Sunday morning we took the train to the Cathedral again for Mass as we did not know where the local church was. Here are photos of the inside of the Cathedral.











We met a HK family here for JMJ, there were really nice and gave us all the information about the the Chinese events.

I was not feeling well, perhaps due to the weather and not enough sleep. All of us except for Vincent decided to stay home and rest. That is why you found three consecutive posts a few days ago, I couldn't sleep so I tried to catch up with my posting.

Martin cooked dinner again that evening. I must say I am very grateful to the boys because if it was up to me I would not have cooked my own food.

The next day our only mission, to pick up Tiffany from airport.
Tuesday is the official start to JMJ. When we got to the airport we can see many pilgrims arriving from all over the world.
A sense of anticipation and excitement is all Madrid wherever we travel to.



Here we are picking up Tiffany!

By the time we got home it was already late evening, pilgrims with backpacks and luggage was filling up most of the metro trains.

That evening we decided to visit the Reina Sofia art museum.
This museum houses many art works of Pablo Picasso, Miro, Salvador Dali. However my aim is to see the famous Gernica.


A piece of art that was so Influential to the civil war in Spain. Even now, this piece of work can influence many people to consider the conflicting state of other places where war is still a part of the people's everyday lives.

It turns out we were very lucky as the museum was open for free on that day. Free entry means we saved another 6 euros!
We did pay to rent an audio guide though as much of the contemporary arts housed there is very hard to understand without descriptions.

Unfortunately it was not allowed that we take a photo of Guernica. It is a massive painting. It portraits great suffering. What moved me the most was the crying mother holding her child, the emotion in the painting felt raw and passionate. It was like watching a very painful moment in a persons life with a very dispassionate eye. It can be quite unbearable. I believe that is what a war does to people. Make people dispassionate about something we should otherwise view with horror. I cannot imagine why anyone will buy printings of this painting to hang on their walls. I guess many people there see this differently.
Here is a copy I downloaded from the Internet.

Here are more artworks we saw.






That night was not another night of home cooked dinner but the first of our voucher meals!
We chose to have kebabs. The voucher idea is definitely better than the hand out food of the last WYD in Sydney!













- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment